Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's my Birthday! And Othello is histrionic (new word I learned yesterday)


Dear Journal,

  Normally I don't start blog entries with "Dear Journal". But I hold my journals dear, none-the-less.

  Today is my 24th birthday. Yippee. Feels like any other day, really. I had a phone interview with Wells Fargo; it must be the worst way to interview someone. I understand business efficiency and looking for set responses and all that, but I can never avoid feeling as if the person on the other end of the line hates me. I'm just one more eager job-seeker in a long line of job-seekers, and I never know how they go. One of my specialties is being able to talk to people tete-a-tete. Phone interviews take away all my powers, save the wonderful quality of my voice.

  Anyway, I've been flitting about, here and there, just thinking and mulling things over in my head. I came home from working at the radio station and I was eating a DELICIOUS juicy peach (food is one of the best birthday presents, by the way) when I realized what I wanted to write. I want to write, of course, a cursed play. Wouldn't that be awesome? A play as cursed as MacBeth or Coriolanus, or Hairspray. The reason why Hairspray is cursed is because unless you're a huge fan for whatever reason, you have it stuck in your head FOREVER. Not the music. Just the hair, and the clothes, and the ill-represented atmosphere of the 1960s. My point being, for some reason, Hairspray is my cursed musical. It's annoying, is all I'm driving at. I find the message clumsy, obnoxious, and condescending. But at least there's a message, I suppose.

  Anyway, writing the next curs-ed play. Cool, right? Of course, I don't want bad things to happen to people in the theatrical arts, but a little mayhem now and then is pretty delectable. I don't mean mayhem so far as people getting shot, and things falling onto actors, or things of the sadistic kind. It's just alright to stir the pot every now and then, which brings me to my first project.

  There is no better pot-stirrer than Iago from Othello. The guy is a gossip GENIUS! I think he would be similar to someone in gossip rag media, or a paparazzi photographer; following the stars, wanting to be in their shoes, allowing others to live vicariously through his lens. And what's the biggest pot Iago stirs? Othello himself.

  Profile: Othello
  Personality: Pretty vain, serious trust issues
  Anger Management skills: None
  Intelligence: Dumber than Iago, and that's all that's necessary.

 I think of Othello as sort of a vain actor. In the original play, he enjoys recounting his tales to Desdemona (although, of course, she never gets tired of listening to them), he is melo-dramatic, histrionic, and easily manipulated. He's got some people-skills problems, to say the least. Othello craves attention and goes out of his way to put his life in danger (and make a big deal out of it).
 The problem with Iago and Othello, while they could possibly be great friends, is that Iago is also a tad affected, theatrical, and a glutton for the lime-light. Since Othello gets the most attention, Iago dislikes him intensely, although he really has no logical reason to. Except maybe that Othello slept with his wife. But did he, though? No one is sure whether Iago is lying or not. He can't be trusted.
 But, with all of his problems and intelligence, Iago is dangerous. Because he pretends to accept his position happily, to soothe any suspicions. He's almost a genius, but not evil. Just a sadistic twerp.

  Anyway, an updated version of Othello should be written soon-ish, I hope. I plan to make it shorter. MUCH shorter. I figure if I want to learn how to write plot structure and characters, I should do some practical studying cough-stealing-cough from one of the masters. Shakespeare is the king of English tragedies and unlikable characters, it can't be denied.

Going to start writing now. Over and out, journal, dearest.

No comments:

Post a Comment